Thursday, March 12, 2015

DE: Maximizing that firepower

When life throws you lemons.. wait for it..

As most of you know, I run a very shooty version of Kabal-only Dark Eldar and have been playing roughly the same for years.  Just recently, I made some revisions to my pure Dark Eldar army and I'm pretty satisfied with the results.  I cut down the total number of Venoms to 2 since I only really need them to drop an Quad-gun in one round of shooting, or to put pressure on minor units hanging out in cover.  I never really liked taking too many Venoms because I'm a lance-heavy player at heart.  They're just such a better weapon in most cases despite what other people think of them.

The key changes to the list comes mainly in the form of re-distributing points.  I dropped my WWP Archon for more firepower on the table and greater perceived threat overall.  This allowed me to fit in another Trueborn unit with some minor points adjustments while greatly increasing my overall number of Dark Lances.  The extra unit also gives me two pseudo Ravagers and often times people get confused which one to concentrate on.  Hint: You're probably closer to the Trueborn Raiders and they don't care if I Jink.

So what do we have now?  We have this masterpiece of deathly delight:

1850
DE CAD*

HQ:
Llama = 10

TROOP:
5x Warriors, Blaster, Raider Lance = 115
5x Warriors, Blaster, Raider Lance = 115
5x Warriors, Blaster, Raider Lance = 115
10x Warriors, Blaster, Raider Lance/SR = 170
10x Warriors, Blaster, Raider Lance/SR = 170
10x Warriors, Blaster, Raider Lance/SR = 170

ELITE:
5x Trueborn, 3x Blaster, Venom SC = 165
5x Trueborn, 3x Blaster, Venom SC = 165

FAST:
Razorwing, Lances = 140
Razorwing, Lances = 140

HEAVY:
Ravager, Lances = 125
Ravager, Lances = 125
Ravager, Lances = 125

Firepower Analysis:
  • Opening salvo sees 24 Poison shots and 15 Dark Lances from 36-48".
  • Secondary salvo within 18" Blaster range brings my total number of lances to a ridiculous 31 if both Razorwings decide to come on.  The Razorwings also gives me 8 S6 AP5 large blasts to take care of enemy infantry, or some airborne lances to force some FMC jinks/grounding tests.  At this range, the Warriors inside the vehicles can also add their firepower, for 27 twin-linked Poison shots with the help of Splinter Racks.  Otherwise, we add a few more Poison shots from the Trueborn and smaller unit of Warriors.
  • Tertiary salvo within Rapid Fire gets pretty ridiculous because 3 full gunboats with Splinter Racks puts out 54 twin-linked shots by themselves.  By this point in the game, if 31 lances and all that Poison can't kill the opposing army, then we have bigger problems to worry about.

The fact that this list can bring 31 lances makes my Archon heart smile like you wouldn't believe.  Another option was to drop one of the Trueborn units for another Razorwing, but I don't like the idea of keeping too much firepower off the table and relying on lucky rolls to bring them in.  This is why almost all my lists tend to look really similar.

..shoot more Dark Lances!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts