Wednesday, December 6, 2006

my mind is blown

I've been doing some research on the Bronze Age of Comics, because that period is basically my personal Golden Age. So I was over at mega-resource comics.org when I came across the page for the John Carter Warlord of Mars series. It only ran 28 issues, which makes collecting it seem a lot less daunting than one hundred issues of Marvel Two-in-One. Anyway, I was blown away by this factoid about the John Carter comic:
The entire series (with few exceptions) takes place between the third and fourth paragraphs of chapter 27 in Edgar Rice Burroughs' novel A Princess of Mars.
Man, I am so cracking open my copy of A Princess of Mars when I get home.

As a side note, people like to debate when these various comic ages start and end. I don't have a solid handle on the start of the Bronze Age, but my own personal take is that it ended no later than 1986 with the publication of Iron Man #194. That's the first appearance of Scourge, the guy who killed many of the goofier villains littering Marvel's sordid past.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts